ABOUT OOLALA-YOUR LAKE HOUSE IN THE CENTER OF UDAIPUR
Udaipur is world-famous as THE location for a quintessential North Indian wedding experience. Our house, named "oolala," is perfect for sophisticated guests—Indian + foreign tourists, honeymooners, business travelers, and people who want a purely Udaipur/Rajasthani experience on the lake. During wedding season, this includes “monsoon wedding” processions on many streets throughout the city, fireworks over the lake, and beautiful symphonies of temple bells—all against the backdrop of peaceful Udaipur lakes.
How is oolala different from other ? It’s quintessential Udaipur:
• oolala is YOUR lake house in Udaipur, Rajasthan: Two sides of this red house face the lake; it’s right on the edge of the lake, touching the water. You can’t get any closer than that. Every room in our house has lake-facing views (except the office and two of the bathrooms). From the rooftop terrace, you have 360-views of the lake and Udaipur + the wildlife living on a small island nearby (ducks, eagles, parrots, and many other types of birds). Coupled with that, oolala is in a vibrant neighborhood right in the center of Udaipur within walking distance of the most popular tourist attractions.
• oolala is an old, Indian-style house: It has gorgeous paintings of village folk art + traditional lights throughout the house. The furniture and décor was handcrafted by Rajasthani artisans, and the paintings were painted by Udaipur artists. Everything you experience in this house is sophisticated + pure Rajasthan. It’s truly one-of-a-kind.
• oolala is a true Airbnb house: It’s not a hotel masquerading as an Airbnb. Because of that, your stay is in a *house,* with all the benefits that provides. One of which is the homemade dinner service we offer (for an additional charge): Delicious, vegetarian food prepared hygienically and with love by me (Lovely, the wife in the husband-wife hosting duo) or my sweet mother-in-law who is an experienced home cook.
• Manish, the house caretaker + cleaner also lives at oolala and is at your disposal 24/7. Although his English is minimal, he understands universal body language. :)
• We rent three private bedrooms on Airbnb, so you can easily interact as much or little as you want with other travelers in all oolala’s common areas—kitchen, dining room, sitting room (with a lake-facing balcony), office, and beautiful rooftop terrace with a 360-view of central Udaipur and the lakes.
Three private bedrooms in oolala (all have lake views + max of two guests in each room):
• Green Room [this listing, your room is the only bedroom in the house with a balcony]
• Blue Room [the largest bedroom in the house]
• White Room [the coziest bedroom + on the first floor of the house]
• Chocolate Room [the coziest bedroom + on the first floor of the house]
You’re welcome to our dinner service or to cook for yourself: For an extra charge, you can request the same vegetarian meal that our family is eating that night. Or, you can cook for yourself. Our kitchen is small, but fully stocked with many appliances (refrigerator/freezer, microwave, toaster oven, espresso machine, French press, juicer, and auto-lighting gas stove) + Indian spices, sugar, salt, butter, and cooking oil. We also provide breakfast basics, such as coffee, tea, bananas, etc. Note: If you want to share our dinner, please let us know by noon so we can buy the appropriate amount of ingredients. Thank you.
Fast WiFi: We try to provide the best WiFi service we can. Our WiFi is "pretty fast for Udaipur" (min 500 kbs and up to approximately 3 or 4 mbs, depending on traffic). Downloads are unlimited, but the speed decreases as downloads increase.
Misc. little amenities that make a big difference: Each bedroom has plenty of electrical outlets, some of which are universal outlets, so you don’t need electrical adapters. Each private bedroom/bathroom also includes a clothes line, make-up mirror, and hair dryer. And, you can use our laundry washing machine on the ground floor to wash your clothes yourself, or if you prefer + at an extra charge, we can send your clothes out for laundering.
You are welcome to use EVERY common room in the house—kitchen, dining room, sitting room (with a lake-facing balcony), and office. All common areas overlook the lake, except the office. And, of course, you must hang out on our beautiful rooftop terrace that has a 360-view of central Udaipur to see the gorgeous cityscape, including palaces, temples, and the Aravali Hills. This is YOUR lake house while you're in Udaipur.
At check-in, we’ll go through a quick check-in procedure with you. This includes giving keys to your private bedroom and closet to you. Manish (the house caretaker/cleaner), Jitu, or I are always available to let guests into the house. [If you plan on staying out after midnight, please let us know.]
We will also give our business card (which shows a map to help you easily locate oolala) to you. When you check out, we’ll do a quick check-out scan of the room to ensure that you left it in good condition + you didn’t forget anything.
Interaction with guests
I love meeting new people, and I’ve been told I’m “bubbly.” I will interact with you as much or little as you like. My husband, Jitu, is friendly + the quieter half of this husband-wife duo. We both speak Hindi + Mewari + English. We’re both happy to make travel suggestions.
Other things to note
Your safety is our priority: The location of oolala is densely populated and safe. Even so, we take your safety seriously and have two video-only CCTV cameras that are prominently displayed and turned on 24/7. Both are next to the front door—one is inside and the other is outside. We also keep a landline and first-aid kit, as well as fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and emergency lights at oolala. We hope this ensures that everyone feels 100% secure and safe.
Our house atmosphere is peaceful, so large parties are NOT allowed: We strive for this house to be a quiet sanctuary, so we do not want guests having large parties + we do not permit boisterous behavior. That’s not the type of Airbnb we are, and we are very strict about this policy. If this happens, we will immediately ask you to leave without any refund for your stay. Note: If you need suggestions for where to get together with large groups, just let us know.
Unregistered guests are NOT allowed: We do not allow unregistered guests anywhere upstairs. You are welcome to have a friend over for dinner and publicly socialize anywhere on the ground floor, but only registered guests are allowed upstairs. No exceptions. If this happens, we will immediately ask you to leave without any refund for your stay.
India sometimes has power outages: We have an inverter. (Only Light and fan will run in your room. ) Scheduled and unscheduled outages are infrequent, and the unscheduled ones usually don’t last long. Also Every room has an emergency light that you can use during the evening if a short outage occurs.
Our house has three floors and steep steps: oolala is a beautiful old Indian-style house, which means the steps are steep and narrow. There is no elevator. However, there aren’t that many steps, and Manish, our house caretaker, will carry your suitcases to your room and help you with anything else you need.
In our bathrooms, we use geysers to heat the water for your shower: After you turn on the geyser in your bathroom, it takes ~ ½ hour for the water to heat up. You’ll have ~ ten minutes of hot water for your shower.
You must also acknowledge
No parking on property - Oolala is situated on a lake in a densely populated neighborhood, so we don’t provide parking. However, there is a paid parking lot nearby.
Potential for noise - While the immediate neighborhood isn't noisy, sound carries on the lake so you’ll hear wedding celebrations and fireworks, many times.
Must climb stairs - Oolala is a beautiful old Indian-style house, so the steps are steep and narrow. Manish, our house caretaker, will carry your suitcases to your room.
Some spaces are shared - Kitchen, dining room, sitting room with a lake-facing balcony, office, and beautiful rooftop terrace with a 360-view of central Udaipur and the lake.
Surveillance or recording devices on property - For your safety, we use two video-only CCTV cameras that are turned on 24/7. Both are next to the front door—one is inside and the other is outside.
Not suitable for pets
No parties or events
Check-in time is 12PM (noon) - 10PM
Check out by 11AM
Self check-in with building staff
We expect our guests to be sincere towards the place & its environment
Smoking is not appreciated inside the rooms, if the guests fells to smoke it is advised to use the designated areas.